Sharps Farmhouse

I've been in love with this farmhouse since I was little.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Nursery: Before and After

Our baby's nursery has come a long way from start to finish. Although it was a painstaking process, mostly for my Dad who was faced with the challenge of uneven, un-level, floors and windows while he was trying to do all of the woodwork and mouldings, the end result was worth it. We love the room, it's bright, warm and cozy and a space the that baby can enjoy now and can grow with him as he grows.


Enjoy the before and after images of the room and all the changes that were made!

Before


One of the greatest challenges in this room was that it had no closets. So we decided to do an entire wall of built-ins so that there would be enough storage for all of the baby's things.

The plaster ceiling was removed and insulation was added, new windows were installed and a wall of faux brick was taken down. Shown here is the new blank slate as all the wood trim was being reinstalled.



The wide plank floors were refinished, even after refinishing them they were very, very distressed. We actually liked them that way and feel that that's part of the charm of living in a 250+ old house. It has that lived in, loved, well worn feeling. My Dad also laid the marble tile hearth. You'd never know that he wasn't a carpenter/tiler by trade!
 
The fireplace mantle was rebuilt around a cast iron insert that I found at a flea market many years ago. Here we are also sampling some paint colors, we were looking for a very pale shade of gray.

Here the closets are going up, we used a chest of drawers we already had and bought two sets of double doors to flank the chest on the sides.
 
 I had an antique pair of doors that I had my heart set on using, but they would have not made the symmetry of the above design possible or offered enough storage space. I'm going to have to save them for another project, maybe that built-in hutch I hope to do in the dining room someday!!!
We decided to do open shelving above the chest for a little added display space.

After


A true labor of love, both grandfathers worked diligently to get all the work done for the baby's arrival. Pop-pop did all of of the woodwork and trim and grand-pop did all of the painting.

The wall of built-ins should provide more than enough storage for all of the baby's things.

A blue and white striped glider/rocker from Pottery Barn Kids is the perfect place to snuggle up with the baby.
The door behind the chair leads to the back staircase.






The fireplace wall has a built-in bench for storage. The wainscotting in the room was painted ultra-bright white to help set-off the dolphin gray paint.


A small nook under the window allowed just enough space for a wicker drum to be used as a side table, also a flea market find. The cast iron duckling and small rabbit perched on each sill were also great finds that day.

This beautiful rocking zebra was hand-painted by a dear friend of mine. I adore this, it is one of my favorite things! The shades of blue and gray were a perfect fit for the room. It is definitely one of a kind. 

A close-up just to show my friend's amazing attention to detail. The eyes are gorgeous!

A antique oak chair is just right for a pint-sized reader.

A gift from grandmom, knit booties from Janie and Jack

A large, weathered, wooden whale, also found years ago, makes a great door-stop.

Iron crib in pewter


41 comments:

  1. This is incredibly beautiful! What a room to be proud of! The crib is gorgeous... all the little details really make the room. I'm sure you spend many hours enjoying its comfort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rug is beautiful. Do you have more information on it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nursery is just beautiful. I love all the sweet, thoughtful touches. The built ins are wonderful. I love the bedding too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this nursery...such an inspirational room. Do you remember the name of the paint color? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kinds words. The paint color is dolphin by Martha Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please share where you got the crib. It's just what I've been looking for and I can't seem to find it online....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Nursery is Stunning! Love all the details, especially the rocking zebra, so precious. The color scheme is perfection! This room looks like it came straight out of a magazine! My all time favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you get the crib? Love the room...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your nursery! I am having a baby boy due in May and have waited 10 years for this! So I want to have a "perfect" nursery and this is soo perfect! Where did you get the baby bedding and what is the name of it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephanie - Congratulations!!! That's so exciting! The bedding is from Pottery Barn Kids and is the Pique nursery bedding in light blue. Enjoy creating your nursery and best wishes as you wait for your little guy. It is the most special and wonderful thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my the crib! I want a big girl bed like that, I really do. What a gorgeous nursery, and that horse is so pretty! Thanks for joining my newbie party.
    Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous room! It's what I want my bedroom to look like - well without the crib. I love the colour on the walls and the patterned rug and the built-ins. It looks like a Sarah Richardson room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your babies nursery is absolutely gorgeous as is your blog! I love everything about the room. As a grandparent I know about helping to get ready for babies.. fun! What special grand Pops your baby has. I am over from Debbie doos.. a new follower.. Hope you stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an absolutely gorgeous room! I love the built-ins!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This room is simply gorgeous!! All the hard work definitely paid off. Came over from Debbie's newbie party and just became your newest follower would love it if you followed me back. Martina

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is the prettiest nursery I have ever seen, the craftsmanship in the built in's is amazing! It looks like a movie stars nursery, or a magazine spread!! It is just gorgeous! I found you at Debbie Doos, I am your newest follower, hope you can visit and follow me back.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Renee, This is such a gorgeous nursery! The built-ins and colors are fabulous. How wonderful that your family pitched in to help. I hope you will join my new linky party starting on 3/17. I would love for you to share this beautiful room.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations what a beautiful babies room. I really love all the detail you added. That little one is going to be so excited to have such a made with mommy's hands room. Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  19. That nursery is the most gorgeous nursery I have ever seen. I just love it. I saw you over at Debbie's. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much. Also, I host a link party each Wednesday...I would love for you to link up this post and inspire others with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful place for a new baby. Oh my it's gorgeous!!!
    I am your newest follower from the New Bloggers Monday. Come visit me at
    http://puddlejumpercreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a beautiful job w/the nursery! I love the color gray! I'm your latest follower, hope you will follow back! Allison @ leomommyof4.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Be still my heart! What a gorgeous nursery! Love every detail. Congrats on your upcoming bundle of joy. He has quite a space to come home to. Just found your lovely blog via Debbie's newbie party. Can't wait to browse around some more. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back.
    Best wishes,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing redo! It's gorgeous! Great work from the grandpaps!

    I'm your newest follower, visiting from the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful room! It looks like it's a photo from a magazine! I love the whale as well. I'm now following from Debbiedoo's.

    Melanie
    youmadethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know if you are suppose to use words like "stunning" when describing a baby's room but its the word that comes to mind when I love at this room. This belongs in a magazine. Bravo to all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Renee, I dropped by again to thank you for sharing this gorgeous nursery at my party. Take care.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a TREASURE of a room!! I can imagine how wonderful it will be to sit and spend precious hours with a sweet tiny newborn!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! Job more than well done, this is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the nursery! I just made my husband go out and but the Dolphin paint by martha stewart! Ours looks so much lighter than yours. :( How many coats did you use to get that beautiful color? You have amazing taste! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. K- Thanks so much, we did two coats of paint on the walls in the dolphin paint. I feel like depending on the time of day that we are in his room that the paint always takes on a slighty different look, lighter or darker, sometimes a little more grayish and other times a little more blue. I hope the color works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Renee- thanks so much for your response! You are so right about the paint and the time of day! I just added another coat and it is just the best color!!! Love your style! Kathleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Renee- I am absolutley in love with your nursery! I am also pregnant, with my third child and finally a baby boy!!!! The rug is beautiful and is a great inspiration for my babies room. Do you mind sharing with me where I can find it? Thank you so much for sharing the pictures, they are breath taking! -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey Melissa - Congrats so exciting! I commented back on your other post about the rugs. Homegoods! Hope you have one close by. Keep me posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Renee,
    Could you please tell me where you got your crib? I had seen it before in years past and now I am about to have another baby.
    (2 kiddos in cribs!) And I need to buy another crib.
    Thanks!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so pretty!
    Love all the details in the wood trims and moldings. What a beautiful room.
    Alison
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful article, very well explained.I have a website on Nursery Glider
    We offer a complete array of nursery furniture, nursery gliders, nursery bedding products..

    ReplyDelete
  37. renee,
    Just found this beautiful blog. I'm a soon to be grandmother and love your nursery. I love... love... the crib but can't find where you said you got it? Did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Renee- This is absolutely beautiful! Can you tell me the brand of the crib or where you got it? I am trying to find one just like it in white! Thank you!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  39. Renee- your nursery is just lovely. I am so fortunate that I just found the changing table that matches your crib on Craigslist! But I am unable to find the crib- can you tell me where it is from? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog